Toenail fungus is an infection of the toenail and/or the nail bed that causes a yellow discoloration of the nail.
What causes Toenail Fungus?
Toenail Fungus is caused by a fungus infestation. This type of fungus thrives in the toenail and foot area because of the warm and moist environment. Toe fungus does not need light to live.
How do I know if I have Toenail Fungus?
What are the symptoms of Toenail Fungus?
- Discoloration of the nail
- Thickening of the nail
- Crumbling of the nail edges
- Dark white or yellow spots appearing on the nail
- Odor coming from the nail
- Inflamed skin surrounding the toenail
How is Toenail Fungus diagnosed?
Your doctor will need a sample from underneath the toenail in order to test it for Toe Fungus.
What can I do from home for Toenail Fungus?
What can I do to prevent Toenail Fungus?
There are several easy ways to prevent Toenail Fungus:
- Wear cotton socks instead of synthetic fabric socks (Cotton allows more airflow to your foot)
- Change your socks on a daily basis
- Wear footwear when you’re in a public place such as locker rooms and pools
- Avoid wearing tight shoes that make your feet sweat
What treatments can I do from home for Toenail Fungus?
- Keep your toes clean and dry
- Keep your toenails trimmed
- Keep your toes "natural". This means no toenail polish.
When should I see a doctor for Toenail Fungus?
You should see a doctor as soon as you suspect you have Toenail Fungus. This foot condition will linger until you receive treatment.
Treatments your doctor may recommend for Toenail Fungus
- Oral medications
- Topical sprays and creams
- Removal of the nail